Now that I think about it, I learned how to cornrow my own hair when I was younger. only problem is, I wasn’t confident that I can really do it albeit, the method I learned it very different from the method used today.
Going into my hair journey, I was compelled to learn how to braid my own hair to make it easier to do my own protective styling and I must say, it feels so great to be able to do this.
I am not 100% perfect yet but I am really getting there. The more I try the better I get. So I thought it would be great for me to share with you guys how I cornrow my own hair and give you guys a few tips.
- Be confident: Confidence is key because if you don’t believe you can do it you won’t do it. just like anything else in life
- Be patient: Take your time when you are starting out. even if it takes you hours and hours to do four rows, take your time. the more you get used to it the quicker the process becomes
- Stretch your hair before: It is easier to corn row when your hair is stretched. trust me on this.
- Detangle your hair before: the thing is, as your braid, you hair tangles. imagine having that on already tangled hair? not a good idea so detangle thoroughly
- Moisturize your hair before: this is to avoid breaking your hair as you braid your hair.
- Be firm: not too tight though, you don’t want to pull your hair but you also don’t want it to be so loose that the corn row unravels.
With that said, I will now leave the tutorial to the video demonstration below as it is easier to understand than me typing it out… Make sure to check out my channel for more videos on hair and beauty please do subscribe!