Deep conditioning is one of the most important part of hair care… you cannot skip this step! it is an intense treatment where you feed moisture that our hair lacks into you hair. Frequency of deep conditioning and when you deep condition is completely relative. This depends on how thirsty your hair is and it is very important to listen to you hair. Most people deep condition on a weekly basis and some every two weeks.
Types of deep conditioning
There are two types of deep conditioning. First being moisture treatment and second being a protein treatment. Most people think the two is one. I know that I also didn’t know the difference growing up but I knew that you can go to the salon for a treatment and ofcos I never went. I strongly suspect that it was a protein treatment but anyway, this is why we have hair bloggers today to teach us right??
Moisture deep conditioner: This is the most needed of the two. It must be done more frequently but in moderation. If you are new to your hair journey though I would suggest doing it weekly and see how your hair react. If it needs more, by all means give it. if less, then listen to your hair and make it every other week. I have a post with moisture deep conditioner options available to us in south africa you can check that out here
Protein treatment: Protein treatment are usually for adding strength to your hair. This is vital to your hair especially if you are relaxed but it must be done sparingly because protein overload is a nightmare!! Believe me. I would suggest on doing a protein treatment monthly at most if you are natural. If you are relaxed maybe sneak it a balance conditioner here and there if your hair needs it. Protein treatments varied from light to hard so Start with light and gradually go up because some people are protein sensitive and that could also be a problem so test out. I have a post with a list of protein treatments click here to check it out
This is how i deep condition my hair. (both moisture and protein)
After washing and towel drying:
- I part my hair into 3 or 4 sections
- I apply product to my hands and rub to distribute to my fingers and then start by massaging my scalp with the product on my fingers
- I apply some products to the length of my hair first whole and then in subsections making sure to saturate the tips.
- I pin that section away and repeat throughout
- I put on a plastic bag and my scarf and let it sit for an hour at least
- I rinse up and follow up with an instant conditioner and rinse after 5 to 10 mins
- Towel and T shirt dry for about 15 mins to soak up the access water
- Apply my leave in’s and braid up my hair to stretch and air dry
And that’s my deep conditioning routine ladies and gents! Let me know how often you deep condition your hair in the comment section below!! Thank you for reading and I hope I helped someone 🙂